CSACEFA NIGERIA HOLDS STATES HIGH LEVEL POLICY DIALOGUE ON EDUCATION
Stakeholders in the Education Sector in Oyo State on Wednesday July 14, 2021 at the instance of the Civil Society Action Coalition on Education For All (CSACEFA) conveyed a High-Level Education Policy Dialogue in Ibadan, at Ibadan Business School, Francis Okediji street, Bodija, Oyo State.
Hosted by the Oyo State Chapter of the Coalition, the Dialogue with the theme, ‘Strengthening Advocacy and Social Accountability’, was aimed at bridging the gaps that exist between the Civil Society Organisations and government at all levels in the planning, monitoring and review of education policies and programmes at states and national levels, with special focus on Oyo state.
Speaking to the objective of the dialogue, CSACEFA stated that the dialogue is aimed at, opening discussions for relevant stakeholders within the Education Sector with focus on Oyo State to share best practices investment in the Education Sector.
Providing CSACEFA Oyo the opportunity to present the impact of Education Out Loud project in Oyo State to the State government and other Partners.
Giving the Oyo State Government an ample opportunity to showcase her investment in Education Sector with focus on the girl child education using the GPE platforms till date
Establishing a platform for continued policy dialogue between the Civil Society Organisation and government on education matters at the State level
R eviewing CSOs engagement in the Local Education group and GPE implementation process in the State as well as charting a way forward on CSOs participation in the development of Education policies and projects in the State.
Relevant stakeholders within the Education Sector converged such as CSACEFA members & other CSOs, DAWN Commission, State Actors (SMoE, SUBEB, MEBP, MoYS, MoWASI etc) Media officials, Education related Labour Unions, the Ag. Policy Advisor, National Moderator, the International Program Manager of Education Out Loud (EOL) Project, Mr Richard Olong and other too numerous stakeholders.
The National Moderator of the coalition, while appreciating the stakeholders for their participation presented the coalition advocacy which focused on education issues. The moderator noted that
- The increasing number of out of school children is alarming, having 38% of girls not accessing basic education in Nigeria as reported in the website of the federal ministry of Education.
- Oyo state with the recent out data from educeleb.com have over 17000 girl’s not accessing basic education.
- Education financing is a big challenge and states are not funding education as it should be, we recommend for quality education
- We understand that education is in the concurrent list and states are to legislate side by side the federal government
- The UBE Act is begging for implementation especially accessing the Universal Basic Education Funds matching grants. Oyo still has outstanding 1,473,832,845 for 2018 and 614,097,018.83 for 2019 not accessed. The funds will go a long way if accessed in ensuring there are modern infrastructure in schools for basic education students and pupils.
- Citizen’s participation in education policy making processes especially the budgetary process is desirous. It is important to ensure civil society are part of the development of States education policies especially education budgeting and planning, and CSACEFA is available with her expertise and manpower to provide the needed support.
- It is important, a social accountability mechanism is established to enable citizens inputs and feedback from government especially on the implementation milestones, outputs, outcomes and impacts on the delivery of Education plans and projects
- The CSOs are partners in progress especially as they relate mostly with the citizens at the grass root and will be instrumental in bringing to the table with government on the pertinent needs of the marginalized and vulnerable in remote communities in accessing quality and inclusive education.
The coalition called for a coordination forum for Government and citizens to be led by the Ministry of Education Oyo state government and to be supported by the Education out Loud (EOL) project. It was however agreed by the Education MDAs at the dialogue meeting that a regular coordination meeting with CSACEFA will be initiated as proposed by the Coalition.